Canton Timeline

1782

Baltimore City annexes area west of Harris Creek

1785

August
Capt. John O'Donnell brings first shipload of China goods to Baltimore & settles here

October 16th
O'Donnell marries Sarah Chew-Elliot of Fells Point

1786

O'Donnell buys 11 acres east of Harris Creek and calls it Canton

1790

O'Donnell household in Baltomore County (Canton) shows up in first U.S. census of 1790

May 1st
First of seven children born to John & Sarah O'Donnell

1792

Columbus O'Donnell born, eldest son of John & Sarah O'Donnell

1796

O'Donnell has acquired 1,941 acres

1797

September 7th
U.S.F. Constellation launched at David Stoddard's shipyard on Harris Creek, first ship of U.S. Navy

1801

Smallpox treatment center and quarantine center built at Lazaretto Point

1803

Betsy Patterson meets Prince Jerome Bonaparte (Napoleon's brother) at O'Donnell estate in Canton

Christmas Eve
Patterson & Bonaparte married by Archbishop Carroll at, some believe, O'Donnell estate

1805

October 4th
O'Donnell dies at age 56, buried in Westminster churchyard, Egyptian style tomb near Poe's first grave

1808

O'Donnell's Canton plantation advertised for rent

1814

September 12-14th
Batter of 3 cannon at Lazaretto Point help with defense of city as British ships bombard Ft. McHenry

1817

February 3rd
Maryland General Assembly passes bill moving Baltimore city line to East Avenue (middle of street)

1820

Racetrack built on north side of Boston and Clinton sts., closes few years later

1823

Potter's Course, another racetrack built south of Boston and Clinton, later known as Kendall track

1828

December
Columbus O'Donnell, William Patterson, Peter Cooper, et al. form the Canton Company

1828-1829

Peter Cooper forms Canton Iron Works at Boston & Hudson sts. with rolling mills & kilns

1831

34-foot high Lazaretto Lighthouse built near southern end of Clinton St. with detached keeper's house

1835

Canton Company stock becomes hot commodity on Wall Street thanks to speculator Daniel Drew

1836

Most streets in Canton laid out but not many constructed

1840

May 4th
National convention of the Whig Young Men held at Kendall track to hear Henry Clay & Daniel Webster endorse William Henry Harrison for U.S. president; 20,000 men marched from Baltimore & Charles sts.

1844

Another Whig convention held at Kendall track, Henry Clay nominee for U.S. president

1846

Horace Abbott buys Canton Iron Works and expands plant

1847

Fall
Canton Methodist Church, first church in Canton, dedicated on Clinton St. between Boston & Toone

1848

Booz Bros. Shipyard established at Harris Creek & Kenwood Avenue (site of Shipyard Apts)

1850

Baltimore Copper Smelting Co. formed in 1600 block S. Clinton St., making 6 million pounds by 1860

1851

Kendall track sold for $242.50/acre, total 112 acres

1853

Horse-drawn omnibus becomes first public transit in Canton between Franlin & Eutaw & Kendall track

1854

St. Bridget's (Brigid's) Catholic Church opens at Canton (Elwood) Ave. and Hudson St.

1859

Canton Market opens at O'Donnell and Potomac Sts. (site of current park)

LATE 1850S

Wendell Bollman opens Patapsco Bridge & Iron Works on Clinton St. below Boston St.

1860

George Pabst opens small brewery at SE corner of O'Donnell & Baylis sts.

1861

Fort Marshall built by Union Army to keep Baltimore city from joining Confederates (site of Sacred Heart Catholic Church & school) (additional forts are built in & around city including Federal Hill fort)

1861-1863

Abbott Iron Works produces thick iron plates for Civil War ironclad U.S.S. Monitor

1861-1865

Wives of officers at Fort Marshall housed at Altevogt's Tavern, NW corner Conkling & O'Donnell sts.

1862

Fr. Gibbobns assigned to St. Lawrence O'Toole (Our Lady of Good Counsel) Church in Locust Pt.; he rows across the river to serve both churches

1864

Fr. Gibbons builds St. Brigid's 3-story rectory next to church on Canton (Ellwood) Avenue

1865

Welsh copper workers build Presbyterian church on Toone St. under direction of Rev. J. Wynne Jones

Baltimore Gaslight Co. builds tank at Clinton and Cardiff sts. to distribute gas to homes & businesses

1869

J.S. Young Co. opens on Boston St. producing industrial licorice, dyes & tanning extracts

1870-1885

Lazaretto Fertilizer, Patapsco Guano, Maryland Fertilizer, Susquehanna Fertilizer, Davison Chemical, Baugh & Sons & Chemical Co. of Canton, open fertilizer plants on lower Clinton St.

1870S

Many row houses build for workers and families north of O'Donnell St.

1870

Public School No. 1, known as Kenny school, built on 1st St. (Highland Ave.) between Toone & Elliott

1872

Skilled Irish & Polish workers begin immigration to work in Canton factories

Wunder's brewery opens at NE corner of Conkling & O'Donnell sts., becomes National (Mr. Boh)

1873

March 25th
Columbus O'Donnell dies at 81, buried at Greenmount Cemetery

April
John Gardner opens grain elevator & warehouse at south end of Canton Co. property

Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church founded on Ft. Marshall site to serve the growing German Catholic population of Canton and Highlandtown, first church at Highland & Foster aves.

1874

Edward Renneburg & Sons begins making equipment for oyster and other canning businesses

German United Evangelical Church dedicated at East Avenue and Dillon Street

October
Holy Evangelists Episcopal Church dedicated at Potomac and Dillon sts.

1876

Christian Gehl opens small brewery on SE corner Conkling & O'Donnell, becomes Gunther's in 1880

Convent for Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic School built on Foster Avenue

1877

Decmber 14th
Baltimore United Oil formed under sponsorship of Standard Oil Co.

1878

Baker-Whitely opens coal company in 2200 block S. Clinton St. to supply ships in Baltimore harbor

March 30th
First telephone in Canton installed at Booz Bros. Shipyard, Boston St. and Kenwood Ave.

LATE 1870S

Rev. J. Wynne Jones opens reading/recreation rooms (Workingmen's Institute) at NW corner of Elliott St. & Ellwood Ave. because men work 12 or more hours/day & have nothing to do but drink. Enoch Pratt is on the board of directors

1880

Booz Bros. moves across the harbor to foot of Federal Hill

1881-1882

Company No. 7, Canton firehouse built at SW corner Balylis & Toone sts., and housed police station

1883

Norton Tin Can Co. of Chicago acquires Abbott Iron Works to make tin cans for canning industry

1883-1884

3-story houses for Welsh copper workers built along 1600 block S. Clinton St.; known as Copper Row

1884

November 30th
New Canton Methodist Church dedicated at Canton (Ellwood) Ave. and Dillon St.

1886

February 15th
Canton Library opens at Canton (Ellwood) Ave. & O'Donnell St., first branch of Enoch Pratt Free Library, architect Charles Carson also designed 3046 O'Donnell St. (key hole house), Mt. Vernon Methodist Church, Goucher Hall next to Lovely Lane Methodist, 1880s wing of Evergreen House

1887

May 15th
Canton & other Baltimore County residents vote against extending city line eastward from East Ave.

1890

January 29th
Messiah English Lutheran Church begins in chapel on O'Donnell St. (site of senior housing)

1891

Canton Congregational Church opens at Highland Ave. and Elliott St.

1892

Baltimore United Oil Co. sold to Standard Oil Co. (John D. Rockefeller)

Canton National Bank founded at East Ave. & Elliott St. (many merges over years, now Carrollton)

1893

July 29th
Baltimore's first bathing beach opens at 2nd Ave. (Cardiff St.) & river, known as Baptizing Shore

1895

Norton Tin Plate & Can Co., Boston St., builds new gabled manufacturing plant (currently DAP building)

1896

Rev. William Batz becomes pastor of German United Evangelical Church, East Ave. & Dillon St., dies in 1926, but people admire him so much church has been unofficially known as Batz's Church since

1899

Present Holey Evangelists Episcopal Church opens at Potomac & Dillon Sts.

1900

March 1st
Messiah English Lutheran Church dedicates new granite church building at Potomac & O'Donnell sts.

1901

March
American Can Co. formed, takes over Norton Tin Plate & Can Co. at Boston & Hudson sts.

1902

June 16th
Fire Engine Co. No. 2 opens in new building at Linwood Ave. & O'Donnell St.

November 9th
St. Casimir Catholic Church opens on Lakewood Ave. at O'Donnell St. for growing Polish population

1904

American Can Co. builds large warehouse along Boston St. next to 1895 gabled building

1906

Canton Railroad begun by Canton Co. connecting businesses to all major railroads in city

1908

Present Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholoc Church building constructed at oster Ave. & Conkling St.

1911

Potomac Poultry Food Co. opens on Keith Ave. to convert oyster shells to poultry food

1912

Renneburg & Sons moves to Boston St. and Lakewood Ave. (site of Shipyard Apts.)

1913-1914

William Oktavec begins painting window screens popular all over Canton for decades

1914

Tin Decorating Co. started by American Tobacco Co., world's largest producer -- 4 million tins/day/1937

1916

Lazaretto Lighthouse first in Maryland to be electrified

1918

March 29th
Maryland General Assembly approves moving city line from East Avenue to present location

1923

American Can Co. builds flatiron building at intersection of Boston, Hudson and Montford

1926

September 29th
Original Lazaretto Lighthouse demolished and new 39-foot high lighthouse opened

1927

New Renaissance-revival style St. Casimir's Catholic Church opens on Kenwood Ave. at O'Donnell St. with replica of altar from Basilica of St. Anthony's in Padua, Italy; Palmer, Willis, Lambdin architects

1928

Canton Days published by Canton Company to commemorate its centenary

1929

Penroad Corp., part of Pennsylvania RR, buys Canton Co.; Sen. Harry S Truman criticizes the sale

1941-1945

Renneburg & Sons, Boston St. (site of Shipyard Apts.) makes foxhole covers during WWII

1943

Canton Market closes

1946

Rukert Terminals Corp. buys Lazaretto Point from Western Maryland RR for warehouse & piers

1947

National Gypsum Co. opens wallboard production plant at 2300 S. Newkirk St.

1950

July 27th
Canton Recreation Center opens in former polics station at Baylis and Toone sts.

1951

May 28th
Canton playfield opens, Boston St. between Ellwood & East aves. (site of Du Burns Soccer Arena)

1954

August
Second Lazaretto Lighthouse decommissioned

1957

Esso/Standard Oil Copmpany stops making gasoline at Boston Street refinery

Present United Evangelical Church building constructed at East Ave. and Dillon St.; Civil War artifacts found during construction

November 29th
Baltimore Harbor Tunnel opens, 1.4 miles ling, $138 million to build

1959

Hamm's Brewery buys Gunther's Brewery, Conkling St., between O'Donnell & Boston sts.

1960

July 19th
Canton Company becomes wholly-owned subsidiary of International Mining Co.

1962

September 11th
Lehigh Portland Cement Co. buys property on S. Clinton St., builds silos & opens distribution center

1964

Schaefer's Brewery buys Hamm's (former Gunther's) Brewery, Conkling St. from O'Donnell to Boston

1966

January
City Council passes condemnation bill for construction of I-83 expressway along Boston St.

1967

Revere Copper & Brass Co. closes its sheet & tube manufacturing plant on S. Clinton St. (Hale site)

Present St. Brigid's Catholic Church building constructed at Ellwood Ave. and Hudson St.

1968

Baltimore city demolishes 215 houses between Boston & Elliott sts. & Linwood and Lakewood aves.

Gloria Aull & Barbara Mikulski start Southeast Council Against the Road (SCAR) to protest construction of East-west Expressway through Canton, Fells Pt., Federal Hill & other communities

1970S

City spends over $15 million to rebuild Lakewood Avenue storm drain

1971

November
Barbara Mikulski elected to City Council

1975

American Smelting & Refining Co. closes copper plant on S. Clinton St. (industrial park site), covered 45 acres, emplyed up to 12,000 workers, owned by Guggenheim's: i.e. Guggenheim Museum, etc.

National Brewery closes Canton plant, production continues in Linthicum next to beltway & I-895

1978

Gunther, Hamm's Schaefer Brewery closes

Historic Canton by Norman G. Rukert published by Bodine & Associates, Baltimore

September
Canton Market roof moved to playfield near Toone and Robinson sts.

1980

January 29th
Canton Historic District added to National Register of Historic Places

John O'Donnell statue in O'Donnell Square dedicated, Tilden Streett, sculptor

1983

Anchorage Townhouses, 40 three-story houses, completed; first new waterfront houses built in Baltimore for over 100 years; initial asking prices $152,500-$172,500

1984

J.S. Young property sold for Baltimore Marina Center development proposal, it flops, more plans follow

1985

Lazaretto Lighthouse re-built in memory of Norman G. Rukert

March
Hatton Senior Center opens at Fait and Linwood aves.

November 23rd
Fort McHenry Tunnel opens, 1.5 miles long, 5 1/2 years to build, cost $750 million

1986

February 15th
Canton Library celebrates 100th anniversary with gala re-enactment of original 1886 opening program and publication of Canton Centennial Cookbook; 1,000 copies sell out quickly

1987

Spring
Tindeco Wharf Apartments, Boston Street, completed & occupied; 240 rental units

Spring
Shipyard Apartments (former Renneburg Co.), 2639 Boston St., completed; 56 rentals

April
North Shore at the Anchorage, 2225 Boston St., proposed 120 condo units and 12 pier houses, 1 bedroom $142,000 up to 3 bedrooms $302,000; pier houses $1/2-$1 million, site of former Volunteers of America halfway house for newly released prisoners (before that Gibbs Canning Co.) (never built)

State of Maryland buys Canton Railroad for $875,000

Construction begins on 124 Canton Square townhouses (site demolished for East-west Expressway)

Anchorage Tower, 2515 Boston St., completed; 95 luxury condos at $110,000-$399,000

October
Canton Nursing Center opens, Boston St. between Ellwood & Decker aves. (several owners since)

October
Community activists form Waterfront Coalition to have local input into Canton/Fells Pt. planning process; asks for progressive development

November
Waterfront Coalition releases its Canton Guide Plan because city has no master plan for development

December 12th
City Council passes bill creating PUD (Planned Unit Development) for J.S. Young/Baltimore International Yachting Center property and bills to permit high density B-1-3 zoning with 90-foot height permitted on 2215-2313 Boston St. lot (across from Sip & Bite) and 2315-2325 Boston St. (next to Anchorage townhouses). Properties have since been combined & are being developed

1988

Spring
Waterfront Coalition asks city to develop a master plan for waterfront development in Canton/Fells Pt.

Spring
American Can Company closes lithography ovens, the last operations at the 87-year-old plant

August 31st
Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, a federal agency, notifies Baltimore City that re-development of the historic American Can buildings "should select a development proposal responsive to citizen input," regarding adaptive re-use of the buildings after the Waterfront Coalition & other community residents reject demolition of site

1989

Atlantic & Southweatern Broom Company, Baylis & Boston sts., closes

October
New York developer Michael Swerdlow abandons plans for re-development of American Can (200,000 square feet commercial, 300 condo units) and asks city to allow demolition of the buildings. Advisory Council on Historic Preservation tells city that if a demolition permit is issued, the city will lose $8.5 million UDAG earmarked for the site.

Fall
City passes Urban Renewal Plan for Canton/Fells Pt., ignoring community requests for minor changes affecting height and density of development proposals

1989-1990

Canton Cove, 2901 Boston St., 88 condo units opens, prices $124,000-$450,000 (former factory)

1990

Canton Waterfront Park and Korean War Memorial dedicated in 3000-3500 blocks Boston Street replacing a railroad yard & cargo pier closed many years ago (car float is only remaining structure)

1993

The Broom Factory re-opens with very affordable commercial loft spaces

1998

March
DAP (caulk, spackling, adhesive and window glaze maker) opens world headquarters (in 1895 Norton Tin Can Co. building) and is first tenant at The Can Company, re-developed American Can site

November 12th
Bibelot Bookstore and Donna's Coffee Bar open at The Can Company

1999

Renovation of existing houses north of O'Donnell Street for new homeowners dramatically increases

2001

Bibelot Bookstore and Donna's Coffee Bar close at The Can Company

               

Revitalizing

O'DONNEL SQUARE

Read More